I am an Urban sketcher

28.3.11

symphony


Civic Center: Syracuse Symphony Orchestra. I forgot my sketchbook but I conveniently found some napkins by the bar.
-Last show of this season featuring conductor Joann Falletta and guitarist Eliot Fisk.


For the last couple weeks, I've thought more about my education and I've decided that Architecture schools scares me. Maybe its just the school that I'm in but there is such a strong sense of false pride and arrogance in what we do and who we are. We've overlooked the most important part of our education, the part that should be the easiest to master without the help of an educator with a Harvard GSD degree. We don't think critically about anything.

-Why is it that Syracuse is ranked number 2?
-Why do firms such as REX (who we are all so in love with) claim that they strive to "do" and not "represent"? Could it be a way to charm a naive generation of students and clients?
-What is the difference between a "designer" who makes beautiful images and an educated architect who actually makes intelligent propositions?

It is scary to think about being a part of a superficial realm where thinking is guided by the latest and most poorly informed trends or the most seductive and pointless rendered images.





No comments:

Post a Comment